Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday


Good Friday is a religious holiday commemorating the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his death in Golgotha. I miss the celebration of the Holy Week back in the Philippines. We always do the Visita Iglesia on Maundy Thursday going to 13 different Catholic churches. During the day we usually go to Good Shepard to do our Station of the Cross. Not only that I also miss all the native foods that we prepare for the Good Friday. All the food that are "ginataan" (coconut milk)from biko (sweet sticky rice), binignit (native fruit salad),ginataang monggo(green monggo with coconut milk, tinap-anan (smoked fish) and a lot more. Though it is a day of fasting but we have lots of food to munch on. No meat for that day only seafoods and vegetables. We do attend the procession of Holy Wednesday and Good Friday. I just miss all these activities. It is totally different here in the foreign land we don't have all of these. There are still celebration of Mass in the chruch but I don't think they do the procession. We also do the Vigil at night right after the procession on Good Friday.

I remember when I was still a kid that my Mama used to tell us to stop playing after 3pm (after the death of Jesus on a Good Friday) for you get wounded it won't heal fast. Those were just the days. I miss my Mama and my Papa so much. Wish they are still around.

No comments: